Generally, we think that proper amount of manure and moisture added to the soil is good enough for growing vegetables. However, plants do not absorb nutrients as expected if acidity and alkalinity are excessive, or moisture is too little.
To grow fine crops, it is essential to understand the relation of acidity and moisture to the soil.
Soil and its relation with crop production
In order to form soil that absorbs nutrients effectively, it is necessary to neutralize the soil by mixing lime with it. However, if calcification is excessive, the soil won’t absorb magnesium and potassium well.
To prevent that, both measuring pH value in the soil and understanding the proper amount of calcification are ideal.
Soil pH and Moisture Meter Long Electrode Type
We can confirm appropriate moisture at the time of soil acidity (pH) measurement by measurement condition check.
Because the part to be inserted into the soil is long and thick, it is possible to measure deep.
Batteries are not required and measurements can be taken simply by inserting the sensor into the soil.
The meter is positioned at the top for easy reading when it is inserted vertically into the soil.
Takemura Soil pH and Moisture Tester
Takemura’s pH Tester will give you accurate readings of pH of the soil. By pushing down the button, it will let you know how much moisture the soil contains (DM-15 model only). It helps to prevent from over watering.
These testers are excellent gardening accessories for gardeners who tend to over water and for those who want to keep a close eye on pH level.
How to use DM-13 and DM-15
- If the soil to be tested is dry or contains much manure, the meter won't indicate correct pH values. Please sprinkle about a bucketful of water on the soil, and wait for 20 to 30 minutes before testing.
- Before using the meter, make sure to thoroughly polish its metallic surface with a piece of whetting cloth. When using a brand-new meter, be sure to insert it into the soil a few times in order to remove the oily impurities from it's metallic surface.
- Insert the meter directly into the field or paddy soil. Completely bury the metallic surface and tamp down the surrounded soil so that it adheres closely to the meter's metallic electrode surface.
- About one minute after inserting the meter in the soil, the pointer will cease to deflect pH value of the soil. Moisture content, or the pH reading. It is ideal to take an average value by repeating several times.
- The meter may sometime indicates different values depending on the soil condition, such as, adhesion to the meter's metallic surface moistur and content, or the pH level. It is therefore ideal to take an average of several measurements.
- In order to determine whether or not calcification has been properly done, please measure pH value one or two weeks after mixing the soil well.
More pH Testers and various testers!
We have various types of Takemura pH Testers and other testers from Japanese brands, SHINWA and HORIBA. Please see pH Tester category for more products!
We have a wide range of products for Analysis. Please visit these category pages as well.